Northern Ireland Screen is the government-backed lead agency in Northern Ireland for the film, television and digital content industry, driving global growth through boosting our economy, celebrating our culture and enhancing our children’s education.
In our new 4-year strategy, Opening Doors, for the years 2014-18, we have a clear vision to transform the screen industries in Northern Ireland, ensuring that we have the strongest screen industry outside of London in the UK and Ireland within 10 years, supported by vibrant and diverse cultural voices that are recognized and celebrated equally at home and abroad.
This mission, to accelerate the development of a dynamic and sustainable screen industry and culture in Northern Ireland, is supported by intervention in the following areas:
- Production and development funding for film, television and digital content;
- A free information service and production support for filming in Northern Ireland, including locations FAM trips for incoming productions; help with sourcing crews and facilities;
- Titanic Studios with two new purpose-built sound stages and more planned, the Linen Mill Studio and excellent alternative build space;
- Marketing Northern Ireland as a worldwide production location and promoting its product and talent;
- Financial assistance for training and skills development;
- Production funding for Irish Language and Ulster-Scots programming;
- Investment in film education, heritage and archive, film festivals and cultural cinema.
Northern Ireland Screen is a company limited by guarantee, currently employing 26 people and we are governed by a Board of thirteen directors. The Chairwoman is Rotha Johnston and Sir Kenneth Branagh is Honorary President.
Northern Ireland Screen is funded by Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) and part financed by the European Regional Development Fund under the European Sustainable Competitiveness Programme for Northern Ireland; the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL); it is delegated by the Arts Council of NI (ACNI) to administer Lottery funding for film in Northern Ireland. See Supporting Bodies section for further information.