19% increase in creative industry jobs in last 5 years
On 9th June 2016 the Department of Culture, Media and Sport released the latest Creative Industries ‘Focus on…’ reports, including 2015 figures for employment and 2014 figures for exports of services. The headline findings are below:
- The number of jobs in the Creative Industries (including both creative and support jobs), increased by 3.2 per cent between 2014 and 2015 to 1.9 million jobs. This was an increase of 19.5 per cent since 2011.
- The increase of employment in the Creative Industries compare with a 2.0 per cent increase in the total number of jobs in the wider UK economy between 2014 and 2015, and 6.3 per cent increase since 2011.
- The total number of jobs in the Creative Economy across the UK have increased by 5.1 per cent between 2014 and 2015 (2.8 million to 2.9 million jobs) and by 19.6 per cent since 2011.
- In 2015 there were 2.0 million jobs in Creative Occupations, a 4.9 per cent increase since 2014 and 19.2 per cent higher than 2011.
Exports of Services
- The value of services exported by the UK Creative Industries in 2014 was £19.8bn, an increase of 10.9 per cent from 2013 and 48.9 per cent since 2009.
- In the same period the value of services exported by all UK industries was £219.8bn, an increase of 2.3 per cent since 2013 and 29.6 per cent since 2009.
- Exports of services from the Creative Industries accounted for 9.0 per cent of total exports of services for the UK in 2014.
- Europe was the continent in receipt of the majority of exports of services from the UK Creative Industries in 2014, with 57.3 per cent of the total exports of services by UK Creative Industries (£11.4bn).
You can read the full statistical release here.