We're still looking for partners and mentors, find out more here.
So you're in the Ukie Student Game Jam - now what do you need to know? Here is a quick Q&A to help you, now that the game jam is just around the corner!
In a first, every student who enters the Game Jam this year will receive a free voucher which will entitle them to an hour free gaming in any BELONG Arena. Read on to find out more.
Wait! I've not entered my team?!
The Ukie Student Game Jam entry deadline has now passed.
9:30am Monday 22nd October - 3:30pm Tuesday 23rd October
The game jam takes place over two days to allow you to take a break and have a rest. It is encouraged that students take time off in the evening of the 22nd and enjoy the free pizza, chill out, get some sleep and start again in the morning of the 23rd.
Anywhere you're able to work as a team and create your game. Speak to your course leader if you don't have a location yet and speak to your mentor.
Who is mentoring me?
You will have been paired with an industry mentor - and your course leaders have been informed. Mentors will either be in person (when possible) or remotely (via Skype, phone etc.)
How do we get the theme?
The theme will be announced at 9:30am on Monday via a YouTube video which will be sent to all participants, as well as on our Twitter and Facebook pages.
What do we win?
We have four trophies up for grabs:
- First place
- Second place
- Accessibility award
- 'Mentor of the Universe' award
- Social Champions Award
This year we have some incredible prizes - some for just entering! Here is a list of just a few:
All Game Jam Entrants
- Free one hour gaming session in Belong Arenas.
- Prize tour of Meetspace VR's free-roam VR arena in Nottingham. Including a free game of Zero Latency's Singularity, a team based free roam experience.
- Jagex swag bags with a variety of different prizes
- Milky Tea have given us some awesome merch to give away
- Free Games, merchandise and more!
When will the winner be announced?
The winning team, second place, accessibility award and Mentor of the Universe award will all be announced on Wednesday 2nd November via press release, social media, and email.
Who is judging me?
- Gorm Lai, President and Co-founder at The Global Game Jam
- Marcia Deakin, Games Partnership Director at NextGen Skills Academy
- Ishai Smadja, Product Manager at King
- Ian Hamilton, Accessibility Specialist
- Leon Cliff, Member Relations Officer at Ukie
How are we being judged?
The judging criteria is:
1) Concept – How well does it match the theme?
2) Playability - Is it fun and challenging enough to play?
3) Visual impression - Does the art style suit the game?
4) Narrative - Does the game's story work and flow?
5) Replayability - Is it compelling and does it have high replay value?
6) Soundtrack - Does the audio fit the game?
7) Creativity - How creative and unique is the game?
8) Accessibility - How accessible is it to gamers with hearing, vision, cognitive or motor impairments?
There will also be a prize for the most socially active team during the game jam.
For more information on the judging process pleaase see here.
How do we submit our games?
All games need to be submitted by 5pm on October 23rd at the very latest - please email leon if you are having difficulty!
Please submit your game via wetransfer / dropbox / any other file sharing service to leon.
Please also submit a video of you playing the game.
Please also submit a short paragraph about why you created the game you did.
How do we get our trophy?
The winning team will be invited to the Ukie offices to take photos of them with their trophy (if travel is possible).
All other trophies will be posted to the proud recipients - please Tweet plenty of photos!
How do we pick the Mentor of the Universe?
You will be emailed a list of questions about your mentor after the game jam has ended. You will need to get your answers back to Leon by 5pm on Tuesday 30th April. We will then award the Mentor of the Universe alongside the winners of the game jam.
Is there a hashtag?
Yes! Tweet your progress throughout the game jam to @UkieStudents using the hashtag #UkieGameJam2018.
When will the pizza arrive?!
That's right, we're feeding you too! Pizza and drinks will be delivered to your location at 6pm on Monday 22nd October.
- Students must be registered to a team to take part
- Work can only commence at 9:30am on the 22nd and finish at 3:30pm on the 23rd October
- Students are not allowed to use any work done prior to the 22nd
- Students can use any game engine they choose to create their game
- Students must make lecturer(s) aware that they have entered the Ukie Student Game Jam
- Students must let their lecturer(s) know where they’re intending to make the game on the 22nd and 23rd October
- Only students registered submitted as a part of the team can take part
- Games must be submitted to Leon@ukie.org.uk via wetransfer / dropbox / any other file sharing service on the 23rd October at 5:00pm
- Enjoy yourselves!
What do I do if I have any problems / questions?
Please get in touch with Leon or Kirstie, who will be available throughout the entire game jam. If you can't upload your game to dropbox, if you're having trouble getting in touch with your mentor, if your pizza delivery is late, anything at all - please let us know as soon as possible!
We will be on call throughout the entire game jam via email and Twitter.