Multi award-winning Jagex has been at the forefront of online games for 15 years, starting with its flagship adventure title, RuneScape. Today, the studio has over 300 staff, making it the largest independent games developer in the UK. Since the launch and growth of RuneScape, which has secured world records for its popularity with gamers around the world, Jagex has moved to develop other successful online titles.
This position is part of the brand new Jagex Graduate Scheme, and is a truly unique opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a fast-paced online games company based in Cambridge, and help us achieve our ambitious future goals.
Gameplay Development programme
The Gameplay Development programme will provide you with three key rotations, working on our core products. Each rotation will give you exposure to the individual stages of the game development process, and allow you to be part of design ideas, project inceptions and release cycles.
You will be exposed to, and participate in, the implementation of new and exciting gameplay features, creating the best player experience possible. This dynamic role will cover a range of coding skills so would be suited to someone with a good understanding of AI, animation, graphics, physics and tools.
- Taking part in the design process of the gameplay
- Contribute to the design of new game content: designing game updates of various types, such as new game areas, PvP updates, mini-games, skills or game-play improvements as voted for by the community
- Maintaining and writing solid and robust code to strict deadlines
- Assist in a project's management: you will need the ability to take responsibility for a project from design to launch, including using the team’s expertise to market and engage the community successfully.
- Use collaborative design and feedback to ensure projects achieve the best quality
- A 2.1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or Engineering gained within the last 2 years
- Experience with a range of programming languages, including Java, C# and C++
- Very strong communication skills and the ability to explain technical concepts.
- Strong team player, able to listen encourage and support others in the team
- A good understanding of the core concepts behind producing code, adhering to coding standards and considering efficiency, readability and maintainability of code.
- Clear understanding of games design: both a grasp of games design terminology and being able to generate realistic games design ideas.
- Proven task and time management ability: experience of working to deadlines in a project based environment, organising tasks and setting time estimates for completion of work.
- Agility: You must be able to change priorities at a moment’s notice based on the demands of the community and team and be able to track progress and environment.
- Experience with client-server and cache-friendly programming
- A passion for gaming, especially MMOs
- Experience using Unreal and Unity engines
- Experience in an agile/scrum environment